Some interesting facts and history of the Cavalier!
- A dog shares 99% of it’s DNA with the Wolf!
- A Cavalier puppy starts getting it’s permanent teeth between 16 and 30 weeks
- An adult Cavalier has 42 teeth (humans have only 32)
- My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
- Give me time to understand what you want of me.
- Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
- Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
- Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
- Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
- Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
- On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can’t bear to watch. Don’t make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
During Queen Victoria’s long life she had a great many dogs but Dash was especially dear to her heart.
He was given to her as a present in 1833 when she was a teenager. Dash and princess soon became inseparable. She sometimes dressed him in a scarlet jacket and blue trousers, and at Christmas she gave him three India-rubber balls and two bits of gingerbread decorated with holly and candles.
When Dash died in 1840, three years after she became Queen, she buried him herself at Adelaide Cottage in the grounds of Windsor Castle, and had inscribed on his tombstone:
His attachment was without selfishness
His playfulness without malice
His fidelity without deceit
Reader if you would live beloved and die regretted
Profit by the example of Dash